Sunday 8 November 2020

A record of the latest disaster : Field of Glory Napoleonic. Anglo-Portuguese vs Moldova in Spain 1809

The Sun rises to the east. An Anglo-Portuguese corps advances to liberate an Spanish town held by the forces of Napoleon...a army from far away Moldova.

The Battlefield facing East towards the rising sun. Spain, 1809.

Steep hills dominated the west side of the map, with a gentle hill in front of the main Spanish town to the north. Another Spanish village was to the east behind a small fordable river and forest. A swamp stood at an angle between both roads.

Looking north towards the Moldovian lines

My armies view up the main road

 

I didn't look at my old posts and couldn't find a copy of my previous army lists, so I thought I'd go to the expects.

This list is the list used by Alastair Donald at Cancon in 2020.

 

Dave Inglis bought a cheap British Army from Ebay (one thing I still dream about doing) and he was able to fit it out well.

With only a competent commander, I was only able to block the Dave's army from using one (double one) mission - Static Defense. A mission I know Dave is unlikely to use anyway. I expected another Frontal Assault like last time, and wanted to try something new- a direct Frontal Assault of my own!

What I didn't know is that the Moldovan army would choose to be more Napoleonic than I anticipated - and choose to do an Envelope mission. One or more of his divisions would arrive on one flank or the other, sometime after turn 2. 

 

The Anglo-Portuguese army deploys for a Frontal ASsault

I strongly suspected it would arrive to my west (left flank) but I thought I could get over the hills BEFORE they arrived - allowing me to attack his conscripts defending the hill; and village before they could march to the sound of the guns.

 

The CALVARY DIVISION on the left flank
On my left flank I placed the CALVARY DIVISION. They were to delay any attack coming from the flank. What I didn't know was that if a flanking force comes within 6 inches of your units,. they immediately fall back AND take a morale loss. You can't stop them arriving (unlike how the rules I'd played under for 40k a long time ago).
 

The LIGHT DIVISION starts to cross the steep hills.
 

The LIGHT DIVISION came next. I thought they would be best to get over the steep hills quickly and assault the enemy held hill and village the best. Turns out they did have the speed to do that..but the next division would not.

 

The GUARDS DIVISION

Then the GUARDS Division - the best units in my army to act as the hinge and conduct a frontal attack on the enemy position on the hill in front of the town. 

 

The VANGUARD Division on the right flank

Finally the VANGUARD DIVISION on my right flank and to help guard that flank in case the enemy army came from the east.

 

The Allied Corps Commander tries and fails to get a better view of the battlefield

The Moldovan Army defends the town in depth.
Dave setup his two mixed divisions in a defense in depth. His CONSCRIPT Division on the hill and town was my main target. His second, more powerful division with HEAVY RUSSIAN ARTILLERY was in the centre. Russian COSSACK'S were on the far left and right flank, along with some heavy cavalry and elite Hussars.

 

Turn 1, on a frontal attack I moved my army forwards.

The steep hills so far don't slow me down too much as I can double move for free the first turn

The LIGHT DIVISION advances past its hill, while the GUARD DIVISION stops at the base of the next one

The Moldovan army reacts
I was a bit worried by the two Calvary units hanging around my right flank, so I refused my right flank and held it back a bit. One of the cavalry units was an officer lead a Hussar with horse artillery so could be devastating if used at the right time. 
Flanking the enemy held hill, and climbing the steep hill in front
My cavalry guarded my left flank and the 95th Rifles advanced into the plain. The Guards unit was held up by the steep hill  The Moldovan heavy cavalry and artillery moved to the centre to support the infantry there.  Apart from the Guard units being held up a bit, everything was proceeding to plan...
Firing breaks out along the line
What did NOT go proceeding to plan was the bad shooting by the entire British army. Only one unit Moldovan brigade was disorganized. Being on the steep hill had slowed and stopped my advance in the centre. And now an entire enemy division was seen to about to arrive on my left flank! When I had tried an envelope attack my units took another TWO turn to arrive, but my luck had deserted me at the very start of combat.
The next turns shooting didn't do much either
To add insult to injury the conscripts on the hill did more damage back than I had done in.
The Moldvon 3rd division arrives on my left flank!

Two heavy cavalry units and elite Grenadiers were now facing my light and heavy cavalry brigades. I had one turn to hold them off before my left flank would collapse and my light infantry assaulting the hill would be caught from behind. 

I could either try and fall back or go for broke and hope for some luck to break the conscripts before the trap shut over them. 

The British Heavy Dragoons Charge!
With nothing else to do, I sent my Impetuous Super Heavy Shock Cavalry charging into the teeth of the Moldovan Elite Grenadier. Naturally. they had no problems forming square, though the quick move did prevent them from hitting any horse with gunfire (the Moldovens rolled badly for once in the game)
The LIGHT DIVISION  charge up the hill!

With no time to lose, the 95th Rifles charged up the hill at the Moldvan Conscripts. It was not to be. The right hand brigade, already disordered by the gunfire coming from the hill, failed to commit the charge, and the left brigade, despite not being hit on the way in, could not budge the Conscripts as they were supposed be friendly units to the flank, rear AND on a hill. I should have had the Spanish Guerrilla unit supporting them,. and needed a turn of shooting done before hand, but I didn't have the time.

The Heavy Dragoons win!

Somewhat amazingly to me, the Heavy Dragoon charge succeeds! It disorders the Grenadiers, but the horses are blown and the brigade is spent. They charge THROUGH THE SQUARE and end up on the other side...and that's it. The Grenadiers are hardly bothered by the whole thing. I really think something went very wrong with how the rules are working here. I suppose it sorta works like the French Calvary charges at Waterloo, but it still seems wrong.

The Light Division disintegrates
Both Light Brigades rout. This also demoralizes the light Calvary. The Spanish Guerrilla's fall back in fear.. The Heavy Calvary is now BEHIND enemy lines but will be unable to charge anyone in the rear.

One bright spot but a small one


 In the centre my two divisions had started to crack the angle of the Moldovan Infantry. The Moldovan Cavalry was being held back and MAYBE I could have won the musket duel...but the Guard unit on the left was crippled the entire time by being on the steep hill, so only had 50% of their muskets able to fire and my luck continued to be nothing but bad.

The Hussar's rout

The Anglo-Portuguese army breaks

With the 2 light rifle units, the cavalry and demoralized units all falling apart, the battle is over. The Moldovan army has one unit somewhat inconvenienced and will most probably rally back to normal next turn. 


A complete and unmitigated disaster. 



Back in 2nd edition 40k I lost neatly every battle I played. I came LAST in the Games Workshop Grand Tournament in Melbourne. At the end of this battle, I feel the same way - this is hopeless and why do I bother.

I did write up a lot of things to keep in mind next battle and I've got a new army plan...but I'm worried it will all end the same. Ultimately my plan was very bad - I should have attacked over the easily fordable river and placed my LOC on a road going south from the eastern village.



I really need to get some solo games in - at least that way I can beat SOMEONE.




2 comments:

  1. Well, that is one advantage of playing solo - you always get a win and a loss! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get my gull army from stonewall in a week or two, I hope to do some training scenario's and then run games via a book I got for solo wargaming.

      The French will be very old/unpainted 1/72 French I got 20 years ago. Maybe in a few months I'll be able to get my French OPFOR army.

      Delete

Thank you for the comment on my blog! May your dice never desert you and your tactical abilities be as good as your posting is! Never stop posting.