Saturday 19 August 2023

I won against Dave's Russian Finnish army!

I won! In my first proper game to win vs Dave, using a British-Spanish-Portuguese 1813 Allied army in France, vs a Russian Army of Finland that outnumbered me 2-1.

Post battle thoughts:

- Cavalry don't really CHARGE infantry, even in the flank or rear- they just form square and you bounce off. You need 2 cavalry units to do it, and it will take 2 turns. Though they do need to do a test for it.

- There's no bonus to having rear or flank support attacking a town - you must go in with everything.

- Only a large light infantry unit can hold a large town. A small one might if you put units on either side next to it.

- An inert allied commander gets ZERO ADC's, and a skilled Corps commander cannot help - you need 3 ADC's,  2 are not enough. If I get a Spanish mixed allied division, it needs a competent allied commander to be able to use a cavalry unit.

- I don't think 1 large division of elite troops is going to work- I need another division general I think. However, the large division DID do what it needed to do. So it might still work.

- Cossack's are still under costed and can never be caught. I had them pinned between the table edge and a river and they still just walked around me. 

- You can advance infantry to 6 then 2 inches, and still be in bombardment and skirmish range and then volley range. You just have to be AT 6 or 2 inches.

 - I need to order some Spanish Litko markers. (post edit- I bought the markers)

- Losing your LOC now removes one dice to restore morale. Conscript's won't (unless with rear support) be able to pass, and veteran's still get 2 dice.  Veteran's are even better to get these days.

- The only road you can put your LOC down is the very first one. Extra roads help with flank marching but that's about it. 

- I need to get ready my Spanish Guerrilla Horsemen, some of who have lancers I think. I have no Spanish Cavalry yet.

- I need magnetic plates for the units that aren't magnetized. (post edit- bought from Litko).

- I need to put the unit Flags on!

- I still need to label units undersides to know what unit which when getting the army organized.

My plan was to do a fast frontal attack or probe with one large super division, while the cavalry hold one flank and the Spanish division the LOC.  Meanwhile I knew from the Probe mission he had a division out flanking me on both sides, so I needed to deploy far enough away so one flank attack would not arrive in time.

I ended up nearly totally destroying his centre, taking his LOC butthe last Spanish unit hanging on by a thread wavering and surrounded on two sides. His town in the centre was surrounded and his last division had spent the entire battle marching towards the LOC...and failing to arrive in time. 

The Spanish division JUST held on and held the LOC. They had 1 unit, wavering left, with enemy units in front and behind. Next turn they were going to rout but I broke enough enemy units before the 2nd flanking attack hit to get the win.

The Super Division of Super Heroes (superior veteran for everyone) worked, but was too unwieldy. The Guard brigade got stuck on the other side of an enemy held town, and could never recover. I think they need a Brilliant Commander to both help in charging and recovering afterwards.

The Light Brigade worked, but there was 2 turns where I had too many skirmish dice. I should try dropping it.

I had control of the skirmish battle for half the battle and only lost it once or twice though, and the Light Brigade being the join between two fights (one front, one left flank) helped win. I wish I could afford a light AND guards unit.

The Guards unit did good work taking the town, but then got stuck on the other side of it and unable to rally. However, they did hold the enemy LOC with the Super Heavy Shock cavalry. 

I had Superior Veteran Super Heavy Shock Dragoons, but apart from one unwise charge into conscripts they didn't NEED to be Superior Veteran. If they reach the enemy LOC, they are doing well just holding it - no need to try for bonus points. 

The large brigades did well (one broke the centre and then turned to the flank and broke more units) but they are probably not worth it considering if they are in deep formation they get shot by artillery too much when assaulting and they get out shot by 2 smaller units.

Large towns on the front line need Large Light infantry brigades to hold them. Only put a small unit in them if I have another unit in reserve to go back in when they get routed out. Put support units directly next to the town to get support fire.

A single artillery attachment isn't worth it (unless it's with a cavalry brigade to shoot at squares). Two brigades with 2 attachments CAN work but you need them next to each other shooting the same target.

The poor spent Spanish Lancers held up an entire enemy division for 2 turns. Using a mixed division to hold the LOC is essential. 

I have not yet had experience in dealing with enemy artillery brigades when on the attack in Glory is Fleeting. I do not yet know how to handle them.

My army list after the break.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment on my blog! May your dice never desert you and your tactical abilities be as good as your posting is! Never stop posting.