Sunday 24 September 2023

Well that was a disaster

The last time I went this bad was back in the '90's at the GW Melbourne Grand Tournament where I lost all 6 games using an Imperial Guard army and came last out of 50 people.  I don't think I ever played a game of 40K again after that.

2 complete routs of my army vs 1 mildly inconvenienced enemy unit. I was comprehensively out generaled and out played both times by much better players. 

And once again, I learnt a lot of what not to do, and what good generals can do I didn't think you could.

I don't think I need to write a battle report of either game.

First game I was outnumbered in infantry, artillery and cavalry, and took the minimum amout of terrain, Then I tried to go on the attack.

Second game I took the maximum amount of terrain and then used it so badly my army fell apart in confusion and incompetent plans that failed on first contact. Everywhere.

 For my future reference: things I learnt today:

1- Never, ever, use a loan army I have not seen or used before. I don't know how to use it, or how it works. It's not worth wasting my time vs someone whose been playing for decades who knows their army back and forwards. I would be willing to play a team historical scenario but that's it. I spent a lot of time getting an army ready for today and didn't get a chance to use it. I should not and will not attempt so again.

2- French 1813 armies in Spain and France are historical - they suck.

3- So does my generalship of them. It's like I forgot everything I'd learnt before.

4- Having 3D6 5+ does not help if you reroll one success. Poor Veterans are Not, and Never will be, worth it. I rolled 2 5+ ONCE and failed every other time with the reroll.

5- King Joseph sucks as an army commander. Despite wanting to attack each time, I was on the defence both times.

6- Cavalry can just choose to walk BACKWARDS after a charge if they pass a morale test. 

7- I still don't understand how to use artillery brigades on the defence. I should avoid using them,

8- 1813 Prussian armies have no disadvantages or weaknesses it seems. They will outnumber me in artillery, cavalry AND infantry without having many conscripts or any poor troops.

9- 1813 Swedish armies can get Cossack's. What the fuck are they riding, reindeer?

10 - A re-lesson: do not devote an entire division to defending a strong point. Use only one unit, and it needs to be LARGE.

11- Infantry moving double move STOP at 6.00001 inches and cannot skirmish fire. Nice to know, and confirmed by a GM. Something that was used against me 2 games ago, but never again. 

12- Do NOT get a competent corps commander, always skilled or exceptional. My lack of skill means I need to take advantage of terrain, and it's harder to do with a lesser commander, and it's hard to do any mission or plan I might want to do.

13- Get the max amount of charismatic division/corps commanders. 

14- Flank mission means light cavalry can move 90% across a table and the advancing army will Move FASTER than a prepared attack army. This is fucking stupid but no one seems to agree with me on that.

15- Unless you get all the roads as the defender, the flank attacker will generally be able to arrive turn 2. 

16- Brilliant Commanders on Calvary units are a must for Lancers and Shock Heavy Cavalry.  

17- If I ever have to use a borrow army, go wild and go pure cavalry with some horse artillery. Re-fight Waterloo and show how they could have won with some horse artillery! 

18 - If I can, block Flank attacks. I did the first battle, couldn't do in the second. 

19- I was out-cavalry-ed in the first battle - I had 4 units vs 5, and they had heavier brigades. I have not found any way to defeat that unless you win the general roles and terrain roles. Conclusion- ANOTHER reason for skilled or exceptional corps commanders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment on my blog! May your dice never desert you and your tactical abilities be as good as your posting is! Never stop posting.