Saturday 29 February 2020

Post battle thoughts after my 7th FOGN game


The armies deploy. I have deployed...poorly. The Russians to the north are on a Frontal Attack. I am attempting an envelopment.

Battle report to come later, but some initial thoughts after playing and losing 50% to 10% vs Dave's Russian 1815 infantry corps:

  1. Frontal assault is popular and effective. Block them if I roll for strategy that way.
  2. If the enemy does a frontal assault, I need to deploy outside the frontal assault direction. They cannot turn or face someone outside their direct front but move too fast to do much otherwise.
  3. Probe can deploy after a frontal attack - if so, deploy to the flank and NOT IN FRONT of the attackers! You will need 2+ turns before the reinforcements arrive, and maybe 4-5.
  4. Steep Hills are NOT to be deployed ON. Deploy behind them and force the attacker to move across them. They are like a anti tank trap for attacking troops. Wait till they cross them, then move into close range when they get on the other side. 
  5. Never put artillery on rough or difficult terrain (eg on a steep hill). 
  6. When making my own hills, make the slope gradual enough to sit figures on and not fall over. 
  7. When making my own hills, draw a line or have a small angle to represent the crest. 
  8. Use a forest instead if needed instead of a steep hill.
  9. If flanking, get a 2nd road to deploy the armies line of communication on.
  10.  If I use envelope, deploy close to the edge. The flanking units will always take too long to arrive.
  11. Don't use envelope. I'd need need more units that I cannot afford. 
  12. Provisional defence with units behind hills and strong points is a better mission for my army.
  13. Having 4 divisions did not help much. Compress 2 of the infantry divisions to 1. 
  14. Having a 3rd cavalry unit as a reserve only works AS a reserve if they can make their cohesion roll. Make it a veteran unit.  
  15. British Dragoons are really good. 
  16. The 95th Rifles and Guards units are really good at attacking towns. Use them for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment on my blog! May your dice never desert you and your tactical abilities be as good as your posting is! Never stop posting.