Sunday 1 August 2021

Review of Battle Systems: Bridge (updated with comparions to rubber 15mm bridges)

The second item I put together from Battle Systems is the Bridge. This involved...some gluing. 

Bridge and broken rowboat over Battle Systems Road & River, being crossed by some Elven Bowmen and hero.

  
It comes on one piece of cardboard.

Once again, the card was easy to push out and no equipment needed.

The completed bridge.




It took me a minute to work out where everything went, the under piece bridge support I figured out had to go on BEFORE the main supports went on, but it was easy enough to remove them and place in under the bridge. The main bridge piece bent without an issue.

I then glued the bridge incline support (to keep miniatures from sliding down off it) using superglue, but had to add one of the scatter terrain pieces to cover up some ripped card that fell off when I turned it upside down. My fault, not a fault of the cardstock. The scatter wood looks fine on it another repair item. I should have just used some paint or texter to cover it up. 

I glued the two end pieces to the bridge rather than having to fiddle with them each time. The bridge looks ok without them off, but better with them on. 

I had one piece for the back of the broken rowboat but got it confused with another one and glued THAT one to the back. I then made another mistake and used PVA glue instead of superglue to try and stick it on. Should have used superglue.

The Bridge over Battle Systems Roads and with rivers.

The white on the rowboat is PVA glue still drying.

I do think the dock from the Road & River set should have a 2nd step on the other side of the "dock" as it could then double as a walk bridge over the river. I might glue some of the scatter terrain wood on to do that.


As part of the Battle Systems terrain I think the Bridge works well and is VASTLY easier for me to make than trying to put together my own. If I wanted to spend some more time I think I would glue some little bushes and flock to the ends and sides. 

Unlike the Roads & Rivers, the Bridge is pretty clearly built for 28mm and I don't think would work for 18mm figures. 

 Update

 A post on TPM asked for size measurements:




Crossing my river mat from Kickstarter

Compared to the 15mm bridges for FOGN it's much bigger, though would work as a crossing for a stream at 28mm. I don't think the rubber ones would work at 28mm, though a single figure could cross.


It works well with the Kickstarter mat and grass areas. The ruins are from BattleSystems Ruined Village I haven't finished yet.


I need to put some lichen bushes along the edges of the road to help cover it, OR put the road down FIRST and THEN the grass mats over it's sides. Or use some dirt colored ones along its edges.


 

Coming up, when I have time to put them together...

Coming up for a future review, the OTHER Battle Systems terrain I got at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment on my blog! May your dice never desert you and your tactical abilities be as good as your posting is! Never stop posting.