Sunday 5 March 2023

The story of one of the worst exchanges I saw at a wargame.

Worse screaming match I saw at a wargame: Battletech, 199ish, I think '93 or '94.

The guy running it I recall was...hazy on the rules. I do recall one time he came over and got the rule wrong, but anyway.

This was before there were proper point system for 'Mechs (I think it was some US system?) and we were playing teams of 2 with a lance of mechs. Our team decided to take a Charger. It seemed like a good idea at the time.  It was not. One time I recall it got it's charge off...and still missed with every shot. We lost every battle, but I had fun from what I recall.

Anyways, one team took four jumping mechs, Wraiths I think? They then proceed to jump behind another team, including the half hexes on the side  of the board. Which I'm pretty sure is illegal. And a screaming match started. We were playing next table over and it was all very embarrassing to see it. They ended up sitting on both sides glaring at each other.


The team with the 4 jumping Mech's still went on to win the tournament (I didn't play them). And it turned out afterwards they shouldn't have been able to afford those 4 Mech's in the first place. Whelp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment on my blog! May your dice never desert you and your tactical abilities be as good as your posting is! Never stop posting.