Sunday 17 January 2021

League of Ancients Day January 2021 Tournament Day #2 afterthoughts

League of Ancients Day January 2021 Tournament Day #2 afterthoughts

I still have 3 battle reports to write up. I ended up with 1 narrow loss (to Richard Stubbs, who went on to destroy all other armies he faced, but not mine!), 1 decisive victory that routed the enemy army, 1 one point victory/draw and one decisive loss that resulted in the rout of my army.

 

* I really need to have some terrain on one flank to hold it. 2-3 units of cavalry can hold a flank, but not both. And the enemy inevitably has cavalry on BOTH flanks. I really need 4 cavalry units (which my army list won't allow!) or a KGL veteran unit to hold one flank with the light infantry. 

* DO NOT ADVANCE OUT OF MY DEFENSES. Both Richard Russian Guard and Dave's Anglo-Portuguese lured me out to walk into a trap. 

* An experienced and skilled player will be able to lure me into a trap. Someone at the same level of myself is probably not skilled enough to do it.

* When Heavy Shock Cavalry are facing my light cavalry, put the infantry in front, and the cavalry in reserve less than 1 unit sized area behind them. This will cause the charging heavy shock to bounce and not follow through.

* If heavy shock cavalry is in front, form the infantry into square! Then move slowly out of range of the enemy infantry. Keep my cavalry one move behind to counter charge the charging enemy cavalry (aka, the Waterloo defence).

* Smaller armies (such as mine) should use PROBE to attack. It forces the enemy not to be hidden behind hills during deployment, and tells you which flank an envelopment will come from.  

* The two Highlander units probably weren't worth it. 

* I need more skirmish troops in the army.

* I need another artillery unit. Ideally with the light cavalry to boost them and shoot things they have forced into square. 

* The large units worked on the defence, but not so much on the offense. I think I should keep them but \move the artillery detachments to other units, and add a cavalry detachment for better defence instead.

* The Portuguese conscripts, when used in a redoubt with a charismatic commander, held off enemy heavy artillery and never broke on the defence. 

* The Spanish Guerrillas should be used on the defence to advance OUT of the deployment zone, or hold a town on a flank.

* The Charismatic commander for the 1st Division was worth it.  

* A Charismatic Exceptional Corps commander is probably worth it. He was often needed to rally someone and gives me more terrain placement options, though I didn't often need a 3rd ADC.

* The IMPETUOUS BRITISH HUSSARS can work well. They probably need an artillery detachment or Brigade commander to be able to work more freely and advance faster. A Brigade commander might work better than veteran KG Hussars.

* The IMPETUOUS BRITISH HEAVY DRAGOONS are worth it, and could use a Brigade Commander, but they need the Portuguese Dragoons in support.

* Two Redoubts are awesome and anyone who fights my army will always want to stop me getting them. 

* I can keep units in REAR SUPPORT by being up to 6 inches away, which would be far enough back to stop a lot of pursuits. Ideally infantry would be however close enough to tbe rear to prevent a unit from going through, so within 2 inches. CAVALRY can be up to 6 inches away and be able to counter charge immediately the blown enemy unit. 

* When on a STATIC or HASTY DEFENSE, putting units behind hills on the REVERSE SLOPE is a excellent way to LURE the enemy in attacking that flank or location, as the units will be hidden and unknown to the attacker..unless they use PROBNE

* Block Frontal Assaults, Bombardments and Probe missions, in that order. Elite armies are more likely to use probe, so block that second before bombardment.

* I need to design and bring my own terrain to use. I need a large gentle hill with a defined obvious ridge line that is also flat with steps so units don't fall off. It should have couture line levels and some smaller ridge lines.

* I need to have 2 small town's with Spanish buildings taking up a small footprint.

* I need a nice river with a ford.

* I need a nice non-metaled road.

* I need a square forest or two and some plantation markers.

* I need some marshes.

Below is the army list I used.


A new idea:

I think I like this one. After writing up battle 1 and 2, I think it would have worked nearly as well.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment on my blog! May your dice never desert you and your tactical abilities be as good as your posting is! Never stop posting.