Friday 19 February 2021

Elf Bowman on their stands, Kingdom Background idea

Elves firing arrows, and my Kingdom background idea

So after many months and a failed attempt foiled by old Games Workshop glue, I have finally got 2 units of Oathmark on their stands.

It's two units of 10 Elf Archers from North Star Elf Infantry boxed set. I wanted Elf Archers because they have a very good chance of activating every turn, they are good shots who can fire at anything in range (and not just the closest target) and then can fire OVER units in front of them. 

I didn't put knives on them because it's less to paint if I don't. And they should never BE in close combat....right? One man in each unit has a standard and another a helmet as a Sargent. The standard bearer will be the unit champion which makes it very obvious. I want a flag on them as well, maybe a long triangle one. 

Getting 30 in a box is amazing compared to Games Workshop, though they end up all looking pretty identical. I should get some other female elf heads with longer hair for my other units. I also MUST get a moving tray for this, with being all plastic there is NO heft in them and they will constantly fall over otherwise. I should probably get some magnets to stick on them and then a metal moving tray. 

I'm not sure what the last 10 figures I should put together as - I'm thinking sword infantry as they make a good reserve that's going to activate when I really need it.

I stuffed up the standard bearers arm. I will need some putty there.
 

Background wise, my current idea is that the Kingdom is on a new continent that the not-Roman empire discovered and started to colonize. The greater numbers of Humans who brought horses, pushed back the Elves from the coasts into the forests of the interior. The Elves (who did not have horse cavalry of their own) were also undergoing a civil war that had almost destroyed their kingdom already and had left a lot of ruins and dungeons around. 

The Dwarves stayed up in the frozen mountains and traded resources for human manufacturing but as they stayed underground a lot didn't have much land worth the Human invaders time. 

The Orcs and Goblins came over with the Humans as mercenaries before breaking away and claiming their own lands. They didn't have numbers or colonies to start with so stayed on the edges of everyone going to the area's no one else wanted. 

After the Human colonies started to form up...the Empire that had supported and sent them collapsed into a succession cries and endless civil wars. The ocean got worse storms and travel across it became much harder. So the now unsupported colonies had to form their own political and military force. They arranged a truce with the exhausted elves and some joined the small kingdoms. Dwarves continued to trade for food and send units for goods, and Orcs and Goblins can be hired as mercenaries on all sides.

And now the new lords of the land wish to make kingdoms of their own....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment on my blog! May your dice never desert you and your tactical abilities be as good as your posting is! Never stop posting.