Saturday 18 January 2020

1st impressons of Black Powder


After much trepidation, I opened my box of Black Powder Waterloo Starter set.


I'm really impressed by the presentation and quality of it. If nothing else, it's a really good-looking and hefty product.  The rule book was surprising - I expected A4 but it's a thicker A3. Having the Quick reference rules on cardboard is a very nice touch.

I've only barley flicked through the rule book. Again, 10/10 for presentation and looking nice. Full of quotes, examples, scenarios and rules cover 200 years of warfare. I'm going to spend hours reading the fluff.

The rules...not so much. I understand that needing to cover 200 years of warfare is going to make it lengthy, but I can't see how you'd use this game for a 100 people like they did for a re-fight of Waterloo. It's a Division level game,  designed for games between friends and not tournaments it seems, so it's much more detailed than FOGN. FOGN being a higher level game abstracts a lot of the rules here out of the way as beneath it's notice, which is fair enough.

Considering it's from the lead designers of 40K, it reminds me a lot of that. But in a good way. 40K always disappointed me with how single models like characters...or characters (not tanks so much :( ) could dominate the game. Instead, the game is much more focused on leaders leading and not fighting Warlord class Titans single handed.

I doubt I'll have any sort of army ready for any time soon, but I think there are some people who play it at Axes and Airles, so maybe this later.

Right now 18m FOGN is my priority

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment on my blog! May your dice never desert you and your tactical abilities be as good as your posting is! Never stop posting.