Sunday 19 January 2020

3rd Game FOGN loss and my stream of things I learnt.

Copied from Facebook post. I hate Facebook.

I played a game vs Cameron Wilson (thank you for allowing me to play) French 1813 Infantry corps for the 2nd time using Richard Gordon British Peninsula army with my own army list. I was quite distracted for 2/3s of the game (I;m sorry Cameron for my poor performance) after the new army list I'd just bought got taken by accident and disappeared, and we spent 30 minutes trying to find it. Fortunately it was found. 

The French attacked in a Oblique angle that would make old 'Fred proud and destroyed my Guards and KGL division without too much loss (less than 10% compared to 30%).

 I learnt a hell of lot:

Don't put redoubts in the flank, put them in the centre. 

Don't put rough terrain where I might want to walk.

Redoubts are pretty useless except as impassible terrain.

Put terrain in the opponents half off table.

If putting a unit in a redoubt, you can't put the rest of the division anywhere else on the table because the unit is trapped there (WTF rules?? You can order the entire army about but put them in a redoubt, and they can't even get out with disorder?!?! I don't care if they got ordered to defend it to the death, the rest of the army obeys its commands, so they should too!),

Vet Superior Guard units CAN hold off 2 divisions...for 1 turn, maybe 2., But not 3. Not 3 barrels... 

My army idea is bad and I should feel bad about it and need to re-work it, but fortunately its a borrowed army, so I don't need to re-base or re-paint)

I don't know how to stop a combined arms attack (there doesn't seem to be a way to do it).

My deployment matched no plan beyond set up the army in a line which is stupid.

You can't move backward as fast as the enemy can advance forward.

Defending a normal hill is bad and if done should be a steep hill.

Don't take the positional defence unless I have a dedicated artillery unit OR more than 1 hill because 1 hill to hide behind doesn't give any advantage to using reverse slope unless your division behind it is "special"

I need more skilled division commanders

I CAN use more than 1 ADC at a time its not complicated, you don't have to "save" your ADC to allow a charge in the opponents turn because you will have them back at the end of your last turn

Light infantry is awesome and why wouldn't you form your entire army out of it

Deploy divisions in chequerboard fashion to fill gaps and allow units to move up by reforming from extended line to tactical.

Cavalry can be formed up in column if you don't know where it's going to move.

Leave a 2 stand gap between terrain unless it's in the opponents have, in which case it will cause more problems than if it was just next to each other.

 ***THE RULE BOOK REALLY NEED AN INDEX***.

The tables for pre-battle should be in the appendix along with the other tables.

The strong point rule doesn't help unless I have a village close to the middle of the table.

It's not a defensive move its an offensive one.

M sure I put my name on the OUTSIDE of the rule books, so they don't wander off (which to be fair, happened before I had a chance to write my name on it).

If the enemy army is leaving a division behind, it is not a reserve as such, it's an oblique attack.

Units can cross a table in 2 turns (which is ANOTHER reason not take positional defence).

It's better to move units in a brigade and not in single units.

When deploying in a village DO NOT DEFEND IT just occupy it you will have more than enough time to move to defend it if needed.

Put my reserve division IN reserve and off the table for the 1st 1-2 turns, if its centre deployed it will have time to catch up.

Next time try a envelopment.

If I have 3 units of cavalry and one is in reserve behind the infantry line, the corps commander can order it thought he needs to join in.

A single brigade of Cavalry is not a Division's reserve. It will end up out of command range too easily. 

SOMEONE (not me!) should write an FAQ or tell me where one is because I suspect a lot of other people have had these questions or conclusions already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment on my blog! May your dice never desert you and your tactical abilities be as good as your posting is! Never stop posting.